Charlotte-Mecklenburg Utilities (Utilities) crews are repairing at least four leaks and others are under investigation. If you see water leaking onto a street or sidewalk, please call 311 or 704-336-7600.Utilities encourages customers to protect their plumbing in a home or business. Taking steps now can prevent burst water pipes and costly repairs later. Try these tips:
* Insulating exposed pipes in unheated areas. Pipe wrapping material is available at your local hardware.
* Sealing any openings and air leaks in your crawl space or basement. Use cardboard, plastic or newspaper to seal air vents if necessary.
* Open doors on cabinets below sinks to allow warmer room air to circulate around plumbing at night.
* Disconnect garden hoses from outdoor spigots.
* Unplug automatic lawn sprinkler systems if you have one. Irrigation line breaks and sprinklers spraying onto sidewalks and roadways will quickly lead to serious public safety hazards.
* If you own a backflow prevention assembly, contact Utilities backflow staff at 704.399.2426 for tips on properly winterizing your system.